Gulfshore life weekend of jan 29th '10
Rock out Friday with the Screaming Orphans Irish rock band at the Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center in Fort Myers. Proceeds go to the Rotary Foundation of Fort Myers to eradicate polio and to the PACE Center for Girls. Tickets, $45, are available at the Art Center, University Grill, Southwest Capital Bank or La-Te-Da Salon & Spa. A live auction will take place during intermission. For more information, see www.thescreamingorphans.com or call the Art Center, 337-1933.
Get ready for big wheels and big mud at the Swamp Buggy Winter Classicat Florida Sports Park in Naples. The action gears up Saturday with time trials. Gates open at 10:30 a.m. and the trials begin at 12:30 p.m., followed by a dance from 8 p.m. to midnight. On Sunday, drivers are introduced at noon, and the races take off at 12:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the gate or in advance at www.swampbuggy.com. Call 774-2701 for more information.
More than 100 of the country’s finest artists and artisans will showcase their paintings, jewelry, sculpture and more this weekend at the 13th Annual Naples Invitational Art Fest, to benefit Eden Autism Services Florida. The festival will run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Fleishmann Park, and a silent auction will be held. For more information, visit www.edenartfest.com
It’s a multicultural weekend in Southwest Florida, with opportunities to indulge in the flavors of both Italy and Greece. At St. Katherine Greek Orthodox Church in Naples, enjoy Greek food, music, dancing, crafts and more at a Greek Festival from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday and noon to 7 p.m. Sunday (www.stkatherine.net or 591-3430.)
For a taste of Italy, head to the Italian American Festival of Cape Coral, serving up Italian food, music and fun on Saturday and Sunday at the German American Society Club on Pine Island Road (542-6515).
• Florida Repertory Theatre brings the classic comedy You Can’t Take It With You to the Arcade Theatre, opening Friday and running through Feb. 26. Check 332-4488 or www.floridarep.org for tickets and information.
• Teatro Lirico D’Europa stages G. Verdi’s tragic opera La Traviata Monday at the Phil. Call 597-1900 or visit www.thephil.org for tickets. •
Learn about the birds and the … frogs, at two programs Tuesday. Head to Rookery Bay from 8 a.m. to noon for Wing It: A Beginning Birder’s Workshop, followed by a field trip. Space is limited; call 417-6310, ext. 401, for reservations. $20; $15 for members. Then, at 7:30 p.m., Win Everham of Florida Gulf Coast University will speak about the local frog population and its importance as an environmental indicator species to the Collier County Audubon Society at the Conservancy of Southwest Florida. Reservations are not required. Donations (suggested $3 for nonmembers) are welcome. For more information, call 643-7822.
GULFSHORE LIFE PRESENTS
Gulfshore Life invites you to join Americans nationwide in wearing red on Feb. 5 to show your support for women’s heart disease awareness on National Wear Red Day. This observance promotes the Red Dress symbol and provides an opportunity for everyone to unite in this life-saving awareness movement. Also, join the American Heart Association for the 2010 Fashion Obsession from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Feb. 6 at the Miromar Design Center. Tickets are $50. For more information, visit www.goredforwomen.org or call 390-8207.
• Bay Design Store is hosting an open house from 2–5:30 p.m. today featuring the amazing work of Judith Aucliar. For more information, visit www.baydesignstore.com or call 649-0906.
• The Art League of Bonita Springs will host an Art Walk from 4–7 p.m. this evening at The Promenade featuring an array of artworks and entertainment. For more information, visit www.promenadeshops.com or call 261-6161.
• The 24th annual Luxury Parade of Homes will showcase premier builders in the area and the very latest in architectural design and construction technology, cabinetry, lighting, landscaping and pool design. Parade dates are Feb. 4–7; Feb. 11–14; Feb. 18–21, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Free admission to all models. For more information, visit www.bia.net/parade-of-homes
• After the light of day fades, use a combination of red lights and night-vision scopes to reveal the nocturnal activities of some of the world’s rarest animals in the tropical jungle of Naples Zoo. Night Eyes Tours are limited to 20 people, each with a scope. Remaining tour dates are Feb. 12, Feb. 17, March 12 and March 15. Tickets are $59.95 for zoo members, $69 for others. For more information, visit www.napleszoo.com
• Marking its 20th year, the Education Foundation of Collier County works to engage the community and schools in pursuit of a quality education for every child. On Feb. 8, the Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Club is hosting The Education Foundation’s Heart of the Apple 20th Anniversary Luncheon. Come and help celebrate the past, present and especially the future of The Education Foundation. Tables of 10 are available for $500 and individual tickets for $60. For more information, call 643-4755.
BEST OF THE GULFSHORE 2010 BALLOT As a Gulfshore Life reader, your opinion matters!
Tell us your favorite restaurants, events, services and attractions, and you will be entered for a chance to win one of eight fabulous prizes! Simply complete the official ballot inside the current issue of Gulfshore Life and mail it to us, or vote online at www.gulfshorelife.com
The “Lazyman’s” lobster casserole at Bert’s Seafood & Chowder House.Hot DishInside the Gulfshore’s dining scene.Cape Cod’s Finest Cuisine Comes to NaplesBert’s Seafood & Chowder House replaced Corks on Fifth and features a relaxed, casual, fun ambiance that feels as though it’s been on Naples’ Fifth Avenue South for years.[more from Ivan Seligman—Hot Dish]
READ MORE BLOGS GL Gems:“A violet sunset has begun to drape herself like a shawl over the shoulders of stacked marshmallow-cube houses, domed churches and whitewashed windmills.” —Writer Karen T. Bartlett, describing the Greek Isle of Mykonos
In the January issue of Gulfshore Life, have The Time of Your Life in pursuit of the most fabulous watches around... Go Inside Mercato with residents to find out about this chic urban lifestyle... Keep your eye out for these Rising Stars of the Gulfshore’s art world...
Discover The 10 Best Caterers... and much more. Gulfshore Life Weekend Insider is edited by Jill Tyrer.