Collier County Fair opens February 4th, 2010
Founder of this Naples site of NeighborHelp Referrals.
Naples fun for all!
Feb. 4 2010
By HARRIET HOWARD HEITHAUSPublished Thursday, January 28, 2010
Starve yourself for several days and pray for fair weather. Literally. The Collier County Fair opens Thursday, with its midway rides, 4-H competitions and, of course, favorite fair foods.
Among the daily favorites are the Show Me Swine Racers, a field of racing pigs who can circle the track in jig time; Rosaire’s trained bears; Granpa Cratchet, a puppet with comic wisdom to dispense; the show of Kachunga and the Alligator; the Sea Lion Splash; magician Jason Hudy; and Pickles the clown.
There are kids’ tractor pulls nearly every day, and music shows Feb. 5 (Anchored To Rock Gospel band) and Feb. 13 and 14. And the reason for the fair — livestock competitions, 4-H demonstrations and cooking and agriculture entries in the Family Living/Education tent — is a fascinating part of it too. Watch the judging of cavies (guinea pigs), cattle, goats, sheep and swine; check out engineering projects and sewing and handwork.
Events like the demolition derby, 7 p.m. Feb. 6; the truck pull, 4 p.m. Feb. 7; and a bull-riding competition, 5 p.m. Feb. 14, offer amateurs a chance to star. Those with kitchen talent can enter the Family Bar-B-Q Cookoff, with family and professional divisions, for $25 and $50 respectively. Entry forms for all four events are on the fair Web site:
Location: Collier County Fairgrounds; Immokalee Road, behind the Collier County Extension Service offices, 10 miles east of Naples
Regular admission: 12 and older, $10; 6-11 years, $5; 5 and younger, free (strollers are $5, wagons and wheelchairs $10); megapass for unlimited entry, $20
Ride coupons: $1; armbands for unlimited rides are available for selected days at prices set according to fair hours:
* Thursday: 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.; entry free with can of dog or cat food; armband, $10
* Feb. 5: :5:30 p.m. to 1 a.m.; moonlight madness night; armband, $20
* Feb. 6: noon to 1 a.m.; seniors 60 and older, $5
* Feb. 7: noon to 11 p.m.; 4-H day, 4-H members free with card; armband, $20
* Feb. 8: 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.; family night; $5 per family with a can of nonperishable food; armband, $15; kiddie ride armband, $5
* Feb. 9: 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.; Fifth-Third Bank night; adults, $5, children, $3; armband, $10
* Feb. 10: 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.; church youth group night; armband, $15
* Feb. 11: 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.; mother and daughter night; free admission for women
* Feb. 12: 5:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.; midnight madness night; admission and armband, $20
* Feb. 13: noon to 1 a.m.; regular admission
* Feb. 14: noon to 10 p.m.; family block party day; admission and armband, $15; admission only, $5